Despite rumors and online media reports that Anthony Hubbard was dismissed from the Iowa basketball team, University of Iowa officials are standing by what was said in a new release announcing Hubbard’s departure.
Matt Weitzel from the Iowa sports information office issued a statement Wednesday afternoon on behalf of coach Fran McCaffery and athletics director Gary Barta saying nothing has changed with regard to Hubbard’s situation.
“Both Gary Barta and coach McCaffery made their statements last week and we’re not commenting on speculation,” Weitzel said.
The Iowa Athletic Department announced on July 14 that Hubbard, a 6-foot-5 former junior-college all-American, had decided to leave Iowa and likely would transfer to an institution closer to his hometown of Woodbridge, Va.
The release had quotes from Hubbard, McCaffery and Barta.
“Obviously, we’re disappointed,” McCaffery said in the release. “We invested a substantial amount of time and energy into the recruitment of Anthony.”
Hubbard said in the release that he appreciated the opportunity given to him by Iowa, but that he wanted to transfer to a school “perhaps closer to home.”
Barta in his statement expressed disappointment for McCaffery and other UI staff members that were “involved from the start on what was clearly a very unique recruiting process.”
The release did not indicate Hubbard was dismissed from the program. The six paragraph release only says Hubbard will transfer and was released “with no restrictions or conditions.”
Weitzel said Wednesday that Barta and McCaffery were not planning on any further comment.
McCaffery took a chance on recruiting the 26-year old Hubbard, who spent nearly four years in prison on a robbery charge.
Hubbard held a news conference on June 15 and said that he felt truly blessed to be a member of the Iowa team.
Barta also said at that news conference that Hubbard would be treated like any other UI student-athlete under the code of conduct.
Category: Iowa Hawkeyes men's basketball